Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Daphne in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

City of Daphne

Incorporated July 8, 1927

 
 
City of Daphne Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 14, 2017
1. City of Daphne Marker
Inscription. The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior to 1557. In 1763, the community of Daphne was known simply as "the Village." The town was officially established on April 9, 1874 and named by the first postmaster's wife after the laurel tree which was also called Daphne. The tree was abundant in this area at that time but population growth and development have now made it rare. In the early 1900s, several Italian families settled in Daphne and brought with them their expertise in agriculture and other areas. The architecture of City Hall reflects a modern version of Italian Renaissance style. The names of streets and businesses surrounding it give further evidence of Daphne's connection to the old world. Sculpture by Frances J. Neumann was dedicated September 24, 2008. In 2008, Daphne's population was approximately 18,000.
 
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Daphne.
 
Location. 30° 36.163′ N, 87° 54.168′ W. Marker is in Daphne, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of
City of Daphne Marker with City Hall in background. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 14, 2017
2. City of Daphne Marker with City Hall in background.
Main Street and Manci Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Daphne City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1708 Main Street, Daphne AL 36526, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Little Bethel Baptist Church: (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Patriot's Point Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1814 ~ ~ ~ 1977 (approx. 1.9 miles away); “Damn The Torpedoes!” (approx. 3.9 miles away); Stop 7 Fort McDermott: (approx. 3.9 miles away); Stop 8 The Eighth Iowa Line: (approx. 3.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Battlefield and Burial Ground at Spanish Fort (1780-1781) (approx. 3.9 miles away); Albert Carey Danner (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Daphne.
 
Also see . . .  History of city of Daphne from city website. (Submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureHorticulture & ForestryNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
View looking north on Main Street with Manci Avenue on right. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 14, 2017
3. View looking north on Main Street with Manci Avenue on right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 177 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of nearby sculpture (and fountain) mentioned on marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement