Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Chandler's Tourist Camp

1925-1929

 
 
Chandler's Tourist Camp 1925-1929 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
1. Chandler's Tourist Camp 1925-1929 Marker
Inscription. In 1915, construction began on the Dixie Highway system that linked Florida with the Midwest via highways running from Michigan through Tallahassee along Old St. Augustine Road toward Miami. In the 1920s, the number of auto tourists visiting Florida increased dramatically. Roadside accommodations and inexpensive lodging were very limited. Some early auto tourists, later called Tin Can Tourists, modified their automobiles to provide sleeping quarters, kitchen equipment, and barrels of water as they traveled to what were then remote locations. Gilbert S. Chandler, Sr., an asparagus farmer from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and a pioneer of the tourist camp industry in Florida, leased seven acres of city land south of the Capitol on Adams Street to begin an auto camp in 1925. Chandlerís camp consisted of a store, a laundry, a community center, a bathhouse, and three tiny tourist cabins with electricity and homemade furniture. As auto tourism continued to grow, Chandlerís Tourist Camp moved to Lake Ella in 1929 to take advantage of tourist traffic on the Old Spanish Trail that linked Florida to California. The vacated city property became the Ben Bridges ball field before state buildings were built there in the 1960s.
 
Erected 2014 by The Family of Gilbert S. Chandler, Sr., The Family of O.I. Gramling,
Chandler's Tourist Camp 1925-1929 Marker looking east into Cascades Park image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
2. Chandler's Tourist Camp 1925-1929 Marker looking east into Cascades Park
Sr., Deborah Desilets, In Memory of Harvey A. "Coach" Desilets and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-817.)
 
Location. 30° 25.946′ N, 84° 16.907′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of South Adams Street and West Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling north on South Adams Street. Touch for map. Marker located at the western boundary of Cascades Park. Marker is in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Capt. John Parkhill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Florida A&M University (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Union Bank of Florida (approx. 0.4 miles away); Leon County Civil War Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Capitol of Florida (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Florida A&M University (approx. half a mile away); Florida Liberty Bell Replica (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
Chandler's Tourist Camp 1925-1929 Marker looking west toward Florida A&M University image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
3. Chandler's Tourist Camp 1925-1929 Marker looking west toward Florida A&M University
Chandler's Tourist Camp ca.1925 image. Click for full size.
By Florida Memory
4. Chandler's Tourist Camp ca.1925
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 104 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement