Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier

 
 
Titusville Veterans Memorial Fishing Pier Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
1. Titusville Veterans Memorial Fishing Pier Marker
Inscription. This pier was the western end of Walker Bridge, the first bridge linking Titusville to Merritt Island. Built in 1922, the hand-cranked, wooden drawbridge served the area until preparations for a modern causeway began in the late 1930s. Causeway construction halted following the United States’ entrance into World War II. A temporary connection was built linking the unfinished causeway to the bridge. In 1942, an Army transport laden with soldiers and equipment failed to make the turn at this juncture, which resulted in an accident that claimed the lives of six soldiers. Several inmates from a labor crew working nearby aided in the rescue. Despite saving several soldiers and recovering the bodies of the deceased, they received little public recognition for their efforts. After the war, construction resumed, and the causeway opened in 1949. Local citizens petitioned the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for ownership of this remaining part of Walker Bridge for use as a public fishing pier. Valued by locals and tourists alike, the pier has been restored through the generosity of the local community to ensure it will remain a cherished gathering place for generations to come.
 
Erected 2016 by The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council and the Florida Department
Titusville Veterans Memorial Fishing Pier Marker at end of parking area image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
2. Titusville Veterans Memorial Fishing Pier Marker at end of parking area
of State. (Marker Number F-897.)
 
Location. 28° 37.165′ N, 80° 48.032′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker can be reached from A. Max Brewer Memorial Parkway (County Road 402) 0.4 miles east of Indian River Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the north side of the present bridge at the end of the parking area for pier. Pier is beyond marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 A. Max Brewer Memorial Parkway, Titusville FL 32796, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Titus House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Pritchard House (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Titusville Negro School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsMan-Made FeaturesWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 328 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement