Near Bowie in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Second Fort Bowie
Arduous “search and destroy” missions into Mexico, by regular troops and specially recruited Apache scouts, finally wore down the Geronimo band. The Chiricahua's last surrender in September 1886 signalled the end of the nation's Indian wars.
Fort Bowie settled into its final, leisurely eight years of existence. Cottonwood trees, planted in 1885, flourished and kerosene street lamps lit pathways between frame buildings. A tennis court graced officer's row. The men attended dances, played baseball, hunted, and held training maneuvers. Fort life was more relaxed.
Location. 32° 8.735′ N, 109° 26.181′ W. Marker is near Bowie, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker can be reached from Fort Bowie Trail 1½ miles south of Apache Pass Road. Touch for map. Marker is located along the trail at the Fort Bowie National
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quartermaster Storehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Cavalry Mess Hall and Kitchen (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Trader (about 500 feet away); Cavalry Barracks (about 600 feet away); Infantry Barracks (about 600 feet away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Fort Bowie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Apache Spring (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowie.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 334 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.