Charlotte Harbor Cemetery
When Joel Knight died in 1879, his daughter Mary E. (Knight) Giddens and her husband Mathieu Giddens set aside a corner of their property for a burial place. It became the local cemetery for residents over three decades, until the Charlotte Harbor Cemetery land with boundaries as they exist today was deeded to First Methodist Church of Charlotte Harbor (now Trinity United Methodist Church) on May 1, 1908 for $1.00.
The church buildings and the Charlotte Harbor Cemetery were damaged by several hurricanes over the years, including Hurricane Charley in 2004. Meeting continuously since 1879, the small congregation has repaired and renewed the historic grave markers and the cemetery landscape each time. This perpetual-care cemetery is still active and available as a final resting place today.
Erected 2007 by Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Hickory Bluff Pioneers (approx. half a mile away); Site of Hotel Punta Gorda (approx. 2 miles away); Juan Ponce de Leon (approx. 3.9 miles away); First White Man Dies in America (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort Ogden (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.