Conway in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The English Colony/The Polo Club
The English Colony
A group of Englishmen known locally as the English Colony immigrated to Conway in the 1880s. They came as a result of a land and citrus industry promotion by the state and railroad corporations that promised an annual income of at least $10,000 growing oranges. These settlers were a mixed group of older retired professional men, army officers, a younger group who was supported by family in England, and laborers who came as servants.
Large tracts of land in Florida had been purchased in England from state or railway corporations at about one dollar per acre. They were scattered from the heart of downtown Orlando to Conway and on to Narcoossee.
The Englishmen planted their orange groves but were not businessmen as much as they were sports enthusiasts. They spent their leisure time playing tennis, riding bicycles on the hard-packed roads, and shooting large flocks of pigeons as they flew to the abundant lakes for water. The group formed a yacht club on Lake Conway where they held regattas.
The Polo Club
The Polo Club was conceived originally by retired army officer General J.S. Swindler who arrived in 1886 and bought a large grove and acreage west of Orlando. Game play was started in 1888 with the team playing
After the devastating 1894-1895 freezes that killed most of the orange groves in Orange County, approximately 200 Englishmen abandoned their homes and returned to England or made new homes in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
Erected by Richard T. Crotty, Mayor-Linda A. Stewart, Commissioner District 4-Orange County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 28° 30.312′ N, 81° 19.865′ W. Marker is in Conway, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is on South Conway Road (State Road 15) just south of Lake Margaret Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 South Conway Road, Orlando FL 32812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves/Conway School (approx. half a mile away); Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Gatlin 1838 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Fort Gatlin (approx. 2.3 miles away); Eppes-Shine Plot Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 2½ miles away); Orlando Army Air Base (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conway.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 114 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.