Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cullman in Cullman County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here

1946~1976

 
 
King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 28, 2017
1. King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here Marker
Inscription. In 1946, the McPhillips family brought King Pharr Canning Company, a major vegetable canning operation to Cullman. Led by chairman Julian B. McPhillips of Mobile, and his two sons Julian L. McPhillips and W. Warren McPhillips (returning from Navy service in the Pacific) the local plant became Cullman's biggest employer, ultimately employing up to 400 people locally, many hundreds more indirectly in harvesting crops, and over 1000 employees in all its plants.

King Pharr Canning Company was headquartered at this location. It canned and shipped thirty three vegetables nationally, including peas, green beans, Irish potatoes, okra, tomatoes, pimentos, sweet potatoes, and blackberries. At its peak in 1959, King Pharr had over 2000 individual growers on contract, and produced 30,000,000 cans annually. King Pharr's impact on the local economy was enormous. It also had plants in Selma, Uniontown, Georgia and Louisiana. The business closed in 1976.

Photo above, 1-r (early 1950's), Warren McPhillips Lilybel & Julian B. McPhillips and Julian L. McPhillips.

Approved by Mayor Max Townson and Cullman City Council, 2014
 
Erected 2014 by the McPhillips family.
 
Location. 34° 10.898′ N, 86° 50.658′ 
View of marker and location of former canning plant. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 28, 2017
2. View of marker and location of former canning plant.
W. Marker is in Cullman, Alabama, in Cullman County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue NE south of Young Street NE, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 412 2nd Avenue NE, Cullman AL 35055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cullman, Alabama (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johann Gottfried Cullmann (about 800 feet away); Cullman Railroad Depot (about 800 feet away); “Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (approx. half a mile away); Betz Addition Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Weiss Cottage (approx. half a mile away); Sand Mountain Plateau (approx. 0.6 miles away); Evangelical Protestant Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cullman.
 
Also see . . .  Article about marker dedication and family history of the King Pharr Canning Company. (Submitted on January 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
The view north towards Young Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 28, 2017
3. The view north towards Young Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 126 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement