Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War

 
 
The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 2, 2017
1. The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War Marker (side 1)
Inscription.
The Barracks
When the Civil War began in 1861, this corner site housed a commercial building called the Norris Block. Its location across the street from the railroad station made it an ideal place for short-term lodging for enlistees waiting to be sent off to battle, and locals soon dubbed it "The Barracks." The Ypsilanti Light Guard, a local militia company that became Company H, First Michigan Infantry, stayed here in the spring of 1861. They mustered in Detroit on May 1 and arrived in Washington, D.C., on May 16. Recruits for the Fourteenth Michigan Infantry, including 129 men from Washtenaw County, spent six months here from September 1861 to February 1862 while the regiment's ranks were filled. The Fourteenth first saw action as part of the siege of Corinth, Mississippi.

Ypsilanti in the Civil War
More than 4,000 soldiers from Washtenaw County served during the Civil War. Hundreds bivouacked here, in the Norris Block, before mustering into service. More than thirty men who were students or graduates of the Michigan State Normal School (now Eastern Michigan University) joined Company E of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry in 1862. Their first action was at South Mountain in Maryland. In December 1863, the First Michigan Colored Infantry stopped here as part of its
The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 2, 2017
2. The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War Marker (side 2)
state-wide recruiting drive. In 1902 veterans of the Twenty-Seventh Michigan Infantry held their reunion here. Since the 1880s this site has been known as the Thompson Block and has had a variety of commercial uses.
 
Erected 2012 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S724.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 14.768′ N, 83° 36.508′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of North River Street and East Cross Street, on the right when traveling north on North River Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 North River Street, Ypsilanti MI 48198, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hudsons & Friends (within shouting distance of this marker); Ypsilanti (within shouting distance of this marker); The Thompson Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ypsilanti Woolen Mill Company (about 400 feet away); Early Days in Depot Town (about 400 feet away); Michigan Central Railroad Depot
Norris Block, "The Barracks," or Thompson Block building image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 2, 2017
3. Norris Block, "The Barracks," or Thompson Block building
(about 400 feet away); Michigan Central Railroad Gardens (about 400 feet away); The Real McCoy (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
 
Also see . . .  Norris Block/The Barracks/Thompson Block. (Submitted on February 3, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 135 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement