Florence in Codington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Dexter Cemetery was started by the early pioneers located in this area in 1899 on land donated by John and Eliza Drake. This was followed by the organization of the United Brethren Church in Christ in 1902 under the supervision of Rev. W.F. Herman.
The church building was constructed in 1906 by donated labor with Rev. Zenos White and Manley Owens as head carpenters.
The Dexter Congregation, which later joined the Methodist Synod, flourished under the guidance of Rev. D.G. Radcliffe (1909-1919 with a large Sunday School led by Evan Thorson and Eliza Drake. Other pastors serving were: Rev. Doolittle, Glenn Phipps, O.T. Hills, and K.E. Earls.
The Dexter Congregation disbanded during the drouth and depression years of the 1930's, and the church building was destroyed by a tornado on June 17th, 1944.
The Dexter Cemetery Association was formed in 1976 to assure the perpetual care of the cemetery.
Erected by In Memory of Bert and Mary Drake.
Location. 45° 7.387′ N, 97° 17.817′ W. Marker is in Florence, South Dakota, in Codington County. Marker can be reached from 156th St. 0.3 miles west of 446th Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SD 57235, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Forsburg Park Sundial (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.