Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winfred in Lake County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Lake County/Miner County

You are about to enter

 
 
Lake County/Miner County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, July 23, 2016
1. Lake County/Miner County Marker
Inscription.
Lake County

So named because of its beautiful lakes. It had been the realm of the Dacotah (Sioux) Indians with few white intruders until ceded by the Yankton tribe in 1858. In 1857 the Noble's Trail was built across its NE corner and that year Mrs. Wm. Marble, a captive of Inkepadulas's renegade Indian band was rescued at Lake Herman by two Christian Indians.

It was created in 1873 from parts of Brookings, Minnehaha and Hanson Counties and organized October 6th with Herman N. Luce and John T. Hare as commissioners. Settlement began in 1870 when Wm. Lee, John Walker and Herman N. Luce arrived and built the Lee log cabin, its first edifice. Shortly, Madison, named for Madison, Wis. And Herman, named for Luce grew up on the shores of Lakes Madison and Herman respectively. By 1880 its population was 2657 and the coming of the railroad that year shifted the county seat from "Old Madison" to Madison laid out by C.B. Kennedy July 6th 1880.

The first train arrived January 12, 1881. The Swiss Colony at Badus was founded in 1878. Wentworth in 1880, Winifred 1882, Ramona 1887. Madison State Normal was established in 1881 with classes starting in 1883. Its present name, General Beadle State College honors its President W.H.H. Beadle (1889-1906) who was known as the "Savior of the School Lands." From
Lake County/Miner County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, July 23, 2016
2. Lake County/Miner County Marker
1890 to 1932 the Lake Madison Chautauqua brought culture and entertainment to thousands

Lake County, 24 miles square, rich in soil and scenery, welcomes you.

Miner County

named for Capt. Nelson Miner, Co. A 1st Dakota Cavalry and territorial legislator. The ancient Dacotah (Sioux) Trail from Pipestone Quarries to the Three Rivers of the Sioux, on the Missouri, passed through the county. Later in 1857 Dakotaís first road, the Ft. Ridgely and South Pass Wagon Road passed through here as did the Minnesota and Powder River Road of 1865.

In 1864 Miner County was a part of the gigantic Buffalo County and in 1870 an even larger Hanson County. In 1873 what are now Sanborn and Miner Counties were called Miner and Bramble each 48 miles long and in 1879 they were renamed Miner with Forestburg temporary county seat in 1880. By popular election in 1882 Howard became the county seat. Sanborn Co.was created in 1883.

The first settler in Miner County was M.A. Moore, who took up a tree claim in April 1879 followed soon by many other homesteaders. In 1881 the first train came through Miner County bringing many settlers so that by 1890 the population of the county was 4,928. The County is 24 miles square with many prosperous farms on fertile well drained land abounding in pheasants and small game so that the county is known
Lake County/Miner County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, July 23, 2016
3. Lake County/Miner County Marker
as a hunterís paradise.

Howard has the distinction of having the oldest public library in South Dakota. The prosperous towns in the County are Argonne, Canova, Carthage, Fedora, Howard, Roswell, Vilas, and Epiphany.

We welcome you to Miner County.
 
Erected 1957 by Lake County Historical Society and County Commissioners and Miner County Commissioners.
 
Location. 44° 0.498′ N, 97° 22.208′ W. Marker is in Winfred, South Dakota, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of 233rd St. and 442nd Ave., on the right when traveling west on 233rd St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winfred SD 57076, United States of America.
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement