Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mims in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims

 
 
Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 3, 2017
1. Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims Marker
Inscription. In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooden church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.S. Gilbert. Many of North Brevard's pioneering black families: Warren, Grant, Campbell, Cuyler, Strickland, Bell, Harris, Hester, Lewis, Sheldon, Abrams, Brothers, Wright, Highsmith and Mitchell, held positions in this church. Rev. James Massey served as an inspirational and dedicated leader from 1937 to 1967. Choir director Dorothy Hester also served as Youth Advisor for North Brevard NAACP under the direction of Harry T. Moore. Funeral services were held at this church for Civil Rights activists Harry T. Moore and Harriette V. Moore who were killed when their home was bombed on Christmas night 1951. Moore was Brevard County NAACP Chapter President and later NAACP Florida Convention president/state coordinator. The present church structure was built in 1964. The old wooden structure was torn down in 1968 and the annex building was started in 1971. The name of the church was changed to Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church in 1974.
 
Erected 2005 by The Brevard County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-539.)
 
Location.
Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims Marker and present church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 3, 2017
2. Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims Marker and present church
28° 39.783′ N, 80° 50.428′ W. Marker is in Mims, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Harry T. Moore Avenue and Ricard Street, on the right when traveling south on Harry T. Moore Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2396 Harry T. Moore Avenue, Mims FL 32754, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx. 1 miles away); LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery (approx. 1 miles away); LaGrange Community Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); LaGrange Community Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of the First Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 3 miles away); Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mims.
 
Also see . . .  Greater Saint James Missionary Baptist Church. (Submitted on February 15, 2017.)
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Civil Rights
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 331 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement