Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mims in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

LaGrange Community Cemetery

 
 
LaGrange Community Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 3, 2017
1. LaGrange Community Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Established in 1869, this is the oldest cemetery on Florida's lower East Coast. The oldest portion is located in the front center section, evidenced by the southeasterly positioning of the tombstones. Tom Johnson Cockshutt (1841-1917), who arrived here in 1868 and made barrels nearby, donated this parcel to be used, in part as a community cemetery. In 1869 he organized the first Protestant Church on the East Coast between New Smyrna and Key West. The community built a small log structure to serve as the first local meeting house, area schoolhouse, and church. It was located in what is now the north section of LaGrange Cemetery. LaGrange Community Church, built in 1872, stands just south of this parcel. The earliest marked grave is that of Andrew Feaster, a War of 1812 veteran, who settled here in 1865, died in 1869, and is buried in the large family plot. Gravesites of many pioneer families include Tom J. Cochshutt, founder of the church; Andrew Froscher, undertaker; Dr. B.R. Wilson, physician; William S. Norwood, who operated the first overland mail service; Mims, for whom the town of Mims was named; and Colonel Henry Titus (1823-1881), founder of Titusville.
 
Erected 2003 by The Brevard County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-489.)
 
Location.
LaGrange Community Cemetery Marker and surrounding graves image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 3, 2017
2. LaGrange Community Cemetery Marker and surrounding graves
28° 38.4′ N, 80° 50.239′ W. Marker is in Mims, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on Old Dixie Highway just south of Diamond Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville FL 32796, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. LaGrange Community Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the First Church (within shouting distance of this marker); LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oliver's Camp (approx. 0.7 miles away); Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims (approx. 1.6 miles away); Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mims.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 286 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement