Near Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shackelford County Texas
—July 31, 1867 - May 31, 1881 —
In valley below lies town of Fort Griffin seat of West Texas civilization. Famous as headquarters for buffalo hunters, government surveyors, and pioneers. Principal supply station for trail drivers on Fort Griffin - Fort Dodge Cattle Trail, the longest on the continent.
1836 - 1936
In honor of the true western spirit
Erected 1936 by State of Texas.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 55.586′ N, 99° 14.026′ W. Marker is near Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 283 and Park Road 58. Touch for map. Marker is located in Fort Griffin State Historic
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Frontier Town of Fort Griffin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Western Cattle Trail Crossings at Fort Griffin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russell Young Gilbert (approx. half a mile away); Fort Griffin Civil Jail (approx. half a mile away); Fort Griffin Lodge Hall (approx. half a mile away); Black Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Family Forts, C.S.A. (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . . Official Website of Fort Griffin State Historic Site. (Submitted on February 25, 2017.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 170 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 25, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.