Caro in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Peninsular Sugar Reﬁning Company
The beet sugar industry in Michigan began growing rapidly in the late nineteenth century. The declining lumber industry had cleared thousands of acres of land suitable for the cultivation of sugar beets. In 1897 farmers were encouraged further to grow this new crop when the state legislature offered a bounty to producers of one cent for each pound of sugar made from Michigan beets. Soon numerous beet sugar factories appeared. Many of them were in the Saginaw Valley area where both climate and soil were satisfactory for growing sugar beets. One of the companies started in this era was the Peninsular Sugar Refining Company at Caro. Organized in 1898, it was first called the Caro Sugar Company. Today it is the oldest beet sugar factory still operating in Michigan.
(Continued from the other side)
The Peninsular Sugar Refining Company owes its success in part to the willingness of area farmers to grow sugar beets. A German firm built the factory in 1899 on land donated by the community. A newspaper, the Tuscola County Advertiser, publicized the venture and Charles Montague, a local businessman, raised capital for it. Farmers hauled tons of beets to the Caro factory in horse-drawn wooden-wheeled wagons and sleighs. In October of 1899, the company embarked on its first season of beet sugar production. In 1906 Peninsular
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S432.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 28.967′ N, 83° 23.801′ W. Marker is in Caro, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is on South Almer Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is 200 feet south of East Congress Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 725 South Almer Street, Caro MI 48723, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tuscola County Fair (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Meeting of the Caro Rotary Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); Caro Masonic Temple (approx. half a mile away); Tuscola County Advertiser (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Caro Tuscola County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); William H. Carson House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caro.
Also see . . . History. History of the sugarbeet in the Saginaw Valley and of the Michigan Sugar Company. (Submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.