Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Memorial Highway

"Road of remembrance to those who gave their lives for liberty in the World War, 1917-18"

 
 
Memorial Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 26, 2017
1. Memorial Highway Marker
Inscription.
This monument, originally in Oldsmar, was one of two dedicated on January 2, 1921 to mark the beginning and end of the Nation's first "Road to Remembrance" constructed after World War One. They memorialized the 105 men and one woman from Hillsborough County who lost their lives in service to our country as members of the United States Armed Forces.

An identical monument was at the road's start then located at Grand Central (now Kennedy Boulevard) and Howard Avenues-at that time the western city limit of Tampa. That monument now stands in the American Legion Cemetery just west of Kennedy Boulevard and Dale Mabry Highway. Granite obelisks served as mile posts on the fifteen miles of highway described as "the first asphalt road to Pinellas County," bronze scrolls on the obelisks and on the bases of the two monuments bear the names of the deceased.

Memorial Highway was created and implemented by the Rotary Club of Tampa. Designed by Rotarian Ralph Martin and engineered by fellow member Jack Hedrick, the club appropriated $7,500 for beautification. The entire length of the road was lined with water oaks and oleanders. Contributions toward construction came from the club, its members, the City of Tampa, Hillsborough County, and private individuals. The dedication ceremony was one of the largest public events in Tampa
Memorial Highway Marker looking south toward monument image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 26, 2017
2. Memorial Highway Marker looking south toward monument
up to that date and was attended by representatives and troops of the U.S. Army and Navy, the American Legion and government officials.
 
Erected 2000 by The Tampa Historical Society.
 
Location. 27° 56.698′ N, 82° 31.778′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of West Kennedy Boulevard (State Road 60) and Memorial Highway, on the right when traveling east on West Kennedy Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33609, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tampa Confederate Salt Works (approx. 1.1 miles away); Congregation Schaari Zedek (approx. 2 miles away); George Guida (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hugh C. Macfarlane (was approx. 2.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); W.T. Edwards Hospital Complex (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rough Rider Encampment (approx. 2.7 miles away); West Tampa Centennial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Rough Riders Encampment ~ (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWar, World I
 
Memorial Highway Marker looking north with monument and marker. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 26, 2017
3. Memorial Highway Marker looking north with monument and marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 186 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement