Erath in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Erath Sugar Company
The Erath Sugar Co.
Erath Sugar Refinery was built in the year 1910.
In the year 1914 the Earth Sugar Company, LTD.
acquired this bell from the Rose Hill refinery
and was used to summon canefield workers.
Dedicated to the Les Travailleuses Club
April 20, 1978
Erected 1978 by Erath Sugar Company.
Location. 29° 57.452′ N, 92° 2.13′ W. Marker is in Erath, Louisiana, in Vermilion Parish. Marker is on West Edward Street 0.1 miles east of South Kibbe Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is part of centennial display in front of the Erath Post Office and City Hall complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 West Edward Street, Erath LA 70533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Acadian Prairie Settlement (approx. one mile away); Bayou Carlin Cove (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lake Peigneur (approx. 3.8 miles away); Jefferson Island (approx. 4 miles away); Est. 1885 St. Mary Congregational Church Abbeville (approx. 6.1 miles away); Louisiana Story (approx. 6.2 miles away); Old Catholic Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker refers to Erath Sugar Company and the iron bell displayed on a brick pedestal behind the marker.
Also see . . .
1. Erath Sugar Company.
At Erath, they erected for the 1910 grinding a large new factory with a cane-grinding capacity exceeding that of most other mills in the state. Knowledgeable entrepreneurs in the sugar cane industry regarded the Erath mill as one of the most modern plants in the sugar district, a large factory supplied by more than 1,200 outside growers, the company itself owning only 1,000 acres of land. (Submitted on March 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Erath Sugar Company Bell.
Though our refinery has been shut down for years, we do have some remnants of its existence. We do have the tower that stands which most of us grew up seeing as a landmark in Erath. Another smaller one stands in front of the Erath City Hall. The Sugar Company Bell was dedicated during one of the Erath Bicentennial Celebrations in 1976... (Submitted on March 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.