Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ticknor-Campbell House

 
 
Ticknor-Campbell House Marker - Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
1. Ticknor-Campbell House Marker - Side 1
Inscription.
Side 1
In 1844 Benjamin Ticknor, a U.S. naval surgeon from Connecticut, built this Classic Revival house on his 183-acre farm in Pittsfield Township. He used cobblestone construction, which originated in upstate New York. The rear wing includes a small frame house, first occupied in 1835 by his brother Heman Ticknor, farm manager and township leader. At Dr. Ticknor's death in 1858, his extensive medical and classical library was given to the University of Michigan. The home was listed in the Historic American Building Survey in 1936.

Side 2
In 1881 Scottish immigrant William Campbell, an educator from Ypsilanti, purchased this house on a 223-acre farm. He and his son Clair raised grain, hogs, and purebred prize cattle. Farming continued on this site until 1955. For ninety-one years three generations of the Campbell family retained the house essentially unchanged. In 1972 the city of Ann Arbor purchased it for use as a pioneer farm museum, and it was placed in the national and Michigan historic registers.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L237.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location.
Ticknor-Campbell House Marker - Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
2. Ticknor-Campbell House Marker - Side 2
42° 14.696′ N, 83° 42.638′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Packard Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Buhr Park near the intersection of Packard Street and the park road, about 0.3 miles west of the Packard Street/East Eisenhower Parkway intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2781 Packard Street, Ann Arbor MI 48108, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Four World Records (approx. 2.3 miles away); Social and Political Change on South University (approx. 2 miles away); The Corners of South University and East University Avenues (approx. 2 miles away); Washtenaw County War Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Engineering at Michigan (approx. 2 miles away); The Denison Archway (approx. 2 miles away); Earhart Manor (approx. 2 miles away); Martha Cook Building (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
 
Categories. AgricultureArchitectureEducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Ticknor-Campbell House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
3. Ticknor-Campbell House and Marker
Marker is next to the tree on the right, just in front of the fence.
Ticknor-Campbell House - West Side image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
4. Ticknor-Campbell House - West Side
Ticknor-Campbell House - South Side image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
5. Ticknor-Campbell House - South Side
Ticknor-Campbell House - East Side image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
6. Ticknor-Campbell House - East Side
The Cobblestone Farm image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 6, 2017
7. The Cobblestone Farm
The Ticknor-Campbell House is also known as The Cobblestone Farm.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement