Bradshaw in York County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
After 1861 an important variant of the overland trails system, the Nebraska City – Fort Kearny Cutoff, passed nearby, over which freight was transported from the Missouri River to western forts and mining camps. The regionís first settlements were road ranches supplying trail travelers. Permanent towns and villages sprang up in the late 1860s and early 1870s as farmers came to claim land under the Homestead Act of 1862.
In 1880 the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad extended its line from York to Grand Island, platting Bradshaw on the land purchased from Jesse and Mary Bradshaw Richards and giving the village Mary Richardsís maiden name.
A major event in Bradshawís history was the June 3, 1890, tornado that destroyed the village, killing twelve and injuring sixty. By 1900 Bradshaw had been rebuilt and tallied a population of 365. In that year 354 railcars of grain were shipped from Bradshaw. In the twenty-first century agriculture remained the economic mainstay for Bradshaw and the surrounding region.
Michael Breiner, M.D.
Class of 1952, BHS
Nebraska State Historical Society
Erected by Michael Breiner, M.D. & Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 440.)
Marker series. Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 53.019′ N, 97° 44.85′ W. Marker is in Bradshaw, Nebraska, in York County. Marker is on Lincoln Street 0.1 miles south of West Jackson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in a small city park at the southwest corner of the Lincoln Street & West Jackson Street intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Bradshaw NE 68319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. York County Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.2 miles away); Nebraska City Cut-Off of the Oregon Trail (approx. 8.2 miles away); Nebraska City-Fort Kearny Cut-Off (approx. 10.8 miles away); Moving People and Goods on the Overland Trail (approx. 10.8 miles away); Nebraska's I-80 Bicentennial Sculptures (approx. 10.8 miles away); The Purple Heart (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Bradshaw -- York County.
It was less than ten years after prairie schooners began making their way across the area in 1870, until a town was platted by the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in 1879.
In the decade that followed the establishment of the town, the population grew to 434, with the prospect of continued good-times. On June 3, 1890, this peaceful little town watched helplessly (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of Bradshaw.
The present site of Bradshaw was set by surveyors who placed the railroad depot here. The first store owned and opened by W.D. Post, was a post office, with him being the post master. He was also the depot agent, telegraph operator, grain and livestock dealer, and he ran the general store. (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Disasters • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.