Tuskegee Institute in Macon County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Frederick Douglass Hall
Douglass Hall was originally used as a girls' dormitory and contained a 750 seat assembly room. Funding came from General William J. Palmer of Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Location. 32° 25.816′ N, 85° 42.261′ W. Marker is in Tuskegee Institute, Alabama, in Macon County. Marker can be reached from University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard. Touch for map. Located within the campus quadrangle. Marker is at or near this postal address: University Avenue, Tuskegee Institute AL 36088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Huntington Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Campus Architect (within shouting distance of this marker); Dining and Social Center White Hall (about 300 feet away); Historic Quadrangle (about 500 feet away); Great Philanthropists (about 600 feet away); Managing the School (about 600 feet away); Tuskegee Cemetery (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuskegee Institute.
Regarding Frederick Douglass Hall. Douglass Hall was completed in 1904, but burned down in 1934. The building standing today is what was rebuilt after the fire.
Tuskegee University is a private, historically Black university established in 1881. The campus has been designated as the Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, a National Historic Landmark. Tuskegee University's campus is the only school in the United States to hold this distinction.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.