Tuskegee Institute in Macon County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Carver Research Foundation
The Carver Foundation began its operations in the Old Veterinary Hospital building, built between 1915 and 1916. The Carver Foundation building was constructed in 1951 and expanded in 1984.
Location. 32° 25.629′ N, 85° 42.184′ W. Marker is in Tuskegee Institute, Alabama, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue and Lewis Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: University Avenue, Tuskegee Institute AL 36088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birth of Trades Program (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Olivia Davidson Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Thrasher Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Up From Slavery (within The Burnt Place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Porter Hall 1883 / Huntington Academic Building 1905 (about 500 feet away); Managing the School (about 800 feet away); The Oaks (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuskegee Institute.
More about this marker. Although the marker is on campus, and behind the campus fence, the former Carver Research Center (George Washington Carver Hall) is off campus on West Montgomery Road. The marker is across the street from the Hall.
Regarding Carver Research Foundation. Carver Hall was completed in 1940. Carver donated most of his life savings to establish this center that would continue his research even after his death.
This and The Oaks are the only two historical buildings not located within the gated campus.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.