Norwich in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
East District School
Once upon a time in Norwich...
In 1789, when Norwich was the second largest city in the State, Thomas Leffingwell IV sold to the inhabitants of the East School District for 6 pounds, land “for the purpose of said inhabitants building a school thereon and improving the same forever”. This brick schoolhouse was the result and remained in use for about 125 years.
Noted writer and Norwich native Lydia Huntley Sigourney attended this school in 1795. In 1798, an evening school, under the direction of Consider Sterry, was added for instruction in writing, bookkeeping, and mathematics, especially to "those gentlemen who go down to the sea in ships and occupy their business on the great water”.
The School House Club was organized in 1891 by leading residents of Norwichtown for literary, musical, and social gatherings.
by sons Dick and Arlie
Location. 41° 32.76′ N, 72° 5.293′ W. Marker is in Norwich, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Lathrop Lane, on the left when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norwich CT 06360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Lathrop Manor (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lowthorpe Meadows (about 400 feet away); Leffingwell Inn (about 400 feet away); Benedict Arnold (approx. 0.4 miles away); Norwichtown Green (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Green (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Dedication Stone (approx. 0.6 miles away); Everlasting Vigilance (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norwich.
Regarding East District School. The East District School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Also see . . . East District School on Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 12, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.