Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kemptville in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
 

St. James’ Memorial Church

 
 
St. James' Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 19, 2017
1. St. James' Memorial Church Marker
Inscription.

This Church was erected "to the honour of Almighty God and in memory of the late Venerable Archdeacon Patton, first Rector of this Parish." The cornerstone was laid on 28th. May 1878 by the Rt. Rev. John Travers Lewis, Lord Bishop of Ontario. Half of the money required to build the church was obtained by Rev. John Stannage, Rector, 1866-1880, from friends in England. It was opened for worship in 1880 and consecrated on 28th. June 1894. This Church replaced the original wooden structure built in 1827 following the establishment in 1826 of the Parish of Kempville as the first Anglican parish in the Rideau Townships. The building is of blue limestone and an excellent example of Canadian ecclesiastical Gothic architecture.
 
Location. 45° 0.938′ N, 75° 38.928′ W. Marker is in Kemptville, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Clothier Street (Provincial Highway 18) and Harriet Street, on the right when traveling west on Clothier Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 Clothier Street West, Kemptville, Ontario K0G 1J0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 26 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prescott Street Bridge (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Founding of Spencerville

St. James' Memorial Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 19, 2017
2. St. James' Memorial Church
(approx. 20.9 kilometers away); Loyal Orange Lodge #151 (approx. 24.3 kilometers away); St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (approx. 24.4 kilometers away); War Memorial (approx. 24.8 kilometers away); County of Carleton/Richmond Agricultural Society (approx. 24.9 kilometers away); Richmond Military Settlement (approx. 24.9 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. History of St. James Anglican Church, Kemptville. (Submitted on March 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. William Tutin Thomas, Architect of St. James (NG Times, 2017). (Submitted on March 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. St. James Anglican Church, Kemptville, on Facebook. (Submitted on March 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Man-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement