Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Muskego in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church

 
 
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, March 19, 2017
1. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church Marker
Inscription. In 1857, twelve German families started a Protestant Mission church. They brought their Christian faith and German language from the old country to what is now Muskego. Their services were conducted in German and held once a month in a rented, one room, log schoolhouse on Tess Corners Drive.

In 1858, the mission congregation bought the land where you are standing and took the name, "The First Protestant Church of Muskego." By spring, a small wooden frame church was built. A reed organ furnished the music while a pot belly stove warmed the congregation in winter. Women and children sat left of the aisle and men on the right, as was the custom back in Germany. Men and women continued to worship separately until 1950. The transition from German to English services came in 1937. German was still used twice a month and on festival occasions. On Maundy Thursday 1949, the final German service was held. The cemetery was established in 1857 with the first burial in 1861. There have been 828 burials since then. In May 1878, the congregation's first constitution was filed with the Town of Muskego. The name "St. Paul's German Evangelical Lutheran Church" was chosen. In 1890, a schoolhouse (schulz) for German religious instruction was built. It is the white building directly in front of you.

In March 1905, the large brick church,
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, March 18, 2017
2. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church
to your left, was built and a "Star Tower Clock" was installed in its steeple. By 1911, the congregation had joined the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod and English services were held once a month. A used pipe organ was installed in 1919, but someone still had to pump the large five-foot by eight-foot bellows by hand, as electricity had not yet come to Tess Corners.

In 1958, a youth center and playground were built to accommodate the growing Sunday School needs. In September 1968, St. Paul's Lutheran School first opened its doors to fifty-eight students in grades one through five.

In September 1976, a new church was built, and on June 4, 1978, the last regular services were held in the old church. As the congregation filed out that Sunday, each member tolled the old church bell one last time in farewell.
 
Erected 2014 by Muskego Historical Society and sign donated by Joan Bauman.
 
Location. 42° 55.459′ N, 88° 5.651′ W. Marker is in Muskego, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Janesville Road near Tess Corners Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Muskego WI 53150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Park Arthur (approx. 2.1 miles
Original school building image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, March 18, 2017
3. Original school building
away); "Do I Smell Pizza-Burgers?" (approx. 2.3 miles away); A Village Emerges! (approx. 2.4 miles away); Muskego Beach Amusement Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hales Corners – A Suburb (approx. 2½ miles away); Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (approx. 2½ miles away); Janesville Plank Road Tollgate (approx. 2½ miles away); The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muskego.
 
Additional keywords. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, St. Paul's Lutheran School
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2017, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2017, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement