Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Little Rock in Pulaski County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The “Little Rock”

1722

 
 
The "Little Rock" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler
1. The "Little Rock" Marker
Inscription. A section of the "Little Rock" located at the foot of Rock Street forming the south pier of the railroad bridge over the Arkansas River, being the first rock seen by the French explorer, Bernard De La Harpe, on his voyage from the mouth of the Mississippi up the Arkansas in 1722.

For 100 years prior to the founding of the town this rock marked the crossing of the north and south trail of the early settlers, the river being fordable at this point, and was known as the "Little Rock." In 1821 Little Rock was made the capital of Arkansas territory, later when the territory became a state and admitted to the Union in 1836, the capital.

The "Little Rock" is the N.W. Corner of the Quapaw Line surveyed after the signing of the treaty of cession between the Quapaw tribe and the United States June 24, 1818. Erected with the aid of officials of the city of Little Rock by

The Civitan Club
June 3rd 1932

 
Location. 34° 44.943′ N, 92° 15.995′ W. Marker is in Little Rock, Arkansas, in Pulaski County. Marker can be reached from Ottenheimer Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Arkansas Trail, just to the East of the Junction Bridge, just North of Ottenheimer Plaza. Marker is in this post office area: Little Rock AR 72201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Site of the "Little Rock" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, March 18, 2017
2. Site of the "Little Rock" Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Geyer & Adams Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Concordia Hall and Jewish Life in Little Rock (about 600 feet away); Porbeck & Bowman Building (about 600 feet away); Augustus Hill Garland (about 800 feet away); Tuf-Nut Lofts (approx. ¼ mile away); First Site: Arkansas College of Medicine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Freedom Riders in Little Rock (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gilbert Maxwell Aronson (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Rock.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Little Rock Look Back: The Quapaw Line. (Submitted on March 22, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
2. Jean-Baptiste Bénard de la Harpe. (Submitted on March 22, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
3. Junction Bridge Pedestrian Walkway. The bridge seen in the background of the photo of the site of the "Little Rock is the Junction Street Pedestrian Walkway accessible by elevator or stairs. (Submitted on March 22, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.) 
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsExplorationSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 210 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement