1023 East Baltimore Street
By 1905, the hall became the Labor Lyceum. Sixteen unions had headquarters here, including the bakers, beer drivers, bottlers, brewers, butchers, firemen, roofers, sailmakers, tailors, and wagoners. During the labor turmoil of the era, the hall hosted mass meetings of immigrant workers who spoke various languages. Of one 1909 gathering, the Baltimore Sun observed, “there reverberated about the halls the sounds as of a tower of Babel.”
In 1913 about 100 women garment workers marched from the Labor Lyceum to a downtown train station where they joined middle-class women’s suffragists traveling to Washington, D.C., to demonstrate for women’s rights.
In the 1920s the
(Inscription under the image in the upper right)
The 1000 block of East Baltimore Street, 1909. Left to right: Second Presbyterian Church (1852-1924), Talmud Torah, Phillip Mirvis Tea Company, Labor Lyceum (1023 East Baltimore). Courtesy of the Jewish Museum of Maryland, 1985.90.14.
Erected by Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Mayor.
Location. 39° 17.434′ N, 76° 36.143′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on E. Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1023 E Baltimore Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1029 East Baltimore Street (a few steps from this marker); 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 300 feet away); McKim Free School (about 400 feet away); B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 400 feet away); On to Yorktown (about 500 feet away); 1781 Friends Meeting House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Labor Unions •
More. Search the internet for 1023 East Baltimore Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.