Medford in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
A waystation on the Underground Railroad, a haven for slaves seeking freedom 1850-1860
Placed here by members of the Tufts community, who continue to honor the tradition of sanctuary
Dedicated April 8, 1987
Location. 42° 24.507′ N, 71° 6.925′ W. Marker is in Medford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on College Avenue 0.1 miles south of Boston Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford MA 02155, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mystic Congregational Church Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Royall House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Powder House (approx. half a mile away); “Grandfather’s House” (approx. 0.6 miles away); “Jingle Bells” Composed Here (approx. ¾ mile away); Captain Isaac Hall Hitching Post (approx. ¾ mile away); James Walter Mullally Crossing (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2017, by Sarah Corvene of Medford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2017, by Sarah Corvene of Medford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.