Randolph in Tipton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Wright, C.S.A.
April 24, 1861—June 5, 1862
Lincolns call for troops to invade the
south prompted Gov. Isham G. Harris
to send Tennessee militia here to
defend the Mississippi valley.
During the next two years, 6,000
camped on these bluffs,
drilling and marching
to the martial strains
of "Dixie". They formed
the officer corps and
nucleus of the Army of
Lest we forget
Location. 35° 31.25′ N, 89° 53.243′ W. Marker is in Randolph, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is on Randolph Road 0.1 miles south of Mills Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Drummonds TN 38023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Twin Defenses (approx. ¼ mile away); Randolph United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Randolph (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Randolph (approx. 7.7 miles away); Outer Breastworks (approx. 8.2 miles away); Confederate Sharpshooters (approx. 8.8 miles away); Inner Breastworks (approx. 8.8 miles away); General N.B. Forrest's Command Position (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Randolph.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2017, by Marvin Seibert of Ketchikan, Alaska. This page has been viewed 112 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2017, by Marvin Seibert of Ketchikan, Alaska. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.