Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Thompson Building

400 - 412 North River Street

 
 
The Thompson Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 26, 2016
1. The Thompson Building Marker
Inscription. This building's history is one of the most fascinating in Depot Town. It was built with bricks brought from Mark Norris' Western Hotel which was previously destroyed by fire. The Thompson Building opened in 1861 just as the first shots of the Civil War were being fired. It was initially used as a barracks for the enlisted soldiers who carved their names in the rafters. The grounds of the depot served as their parade field.

After the war, the Thompson Building housed many important enterprises of the era: agricultural implements, household items, carriages and wagons, bicycles, paint and a tailor shop. It became the City's first Fire Department in 1856. The Neptune, Number 1 was the first volunteer fire company gounded in East Ypsilanti. The station later became East Side Hose Company, No. 2 and had room to stable horses. The first foreman was Benjamin Follett. The building continues to house a variety of small businesses.

Also...
In Michigan: The first independent automobile dealership opened in 1898 by William E. Metzger in Detroit, Michigan.

American Events: Samuel Morse sent the first telegraphed message in 1844. The auto industry began when the Duryea Motor Car Company manufactured 13 cars from one set of plans in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1896. The first auto accident
The Thompson Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 28, 2017
2. The Thompson Building Marker
This marker is the third one from the left.
occurred in New York in 1896 when a Duryea auto collided with a bicycle.

Donated by Acme Glass
 
Erected 1998 by Depot Town Association.
 
Location. 42° 14.766′ N, 83° 36.595′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on East Cross Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is along the sidewalk between 29 and 33 East Cross Street, about 350 feet west of North River Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 East Cross Street, Ypsilanti MI 48198, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Central Railroad Depot (here, next to this marker); Ypsilanti Woolen Mill Company (here, next to this marker); Michigan Central Railroad Gardens (here, next to this marker); Early Days in Depot Town (here, next to this marker); The Real McCoy (here, next to this marker); The Oliver House (here, next to this marker); The Last Hudson Dealership (a few steps from this marker); Michigan Central Freighthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
The Thompson Building image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, March 28, 2017
3. The Thompson Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement