Near Clear Lake in Deuel County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Tabor Evangelical Church
This marker commemorates the courage, sacrifice, and faithful devotion of the pioneer families of the Evangelical faith who settled in this vicinity of Duel County, South Dakota. In the early days of settlement, services were held in the homes or schoolhouses. They were led by one of the members when the pastor could not be present.
On November 8, 1888, this site was purchased. The Tabor Evangelical Church was erected and served by pastors from Watertown, South Dakota.
In 1903, the Zion Evangelical Church was organized in the city of Clear Lake, South Dakota. Together the two parishes built a parsonage and called a resident pastor to serve both congregations.
In 1959, the Zion and Tabor congregations unified, maintaining the Church in Clear Lake, now known as the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
Many of the graves in the near-by cemetery are those of the pioneers of this area and founders of the Tabor Church. It is to the memory of their wisdom and vision; their faith and trust in God that this marker is dedicated.
Location. 44° 44.799′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Lake SD 57226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hidewood Creek Rest Area (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hidewood Creek (approx. 3½ miles away); District No. 5 Public School (approx. 11.2 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.