Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Castle in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware's Independence Hall

 
 
Delaware's Independence Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 24, 2017
1. Delaware's Independence Hall Marker
Inscription.

Built in 1732 as the statehouse for Pennsylvania's "Three Lower Counties on the Delaware," the New Castle Court House was the scene of a dramatic vote on June 15, 1776 when the colonial assembly declared independence from both Great Britain and Pennsylvania. In September of that year, the former colony held a state constitutional convention here in which it adopted the name, "The Delaware State."

The sketch above from Benjamin Latrobe's 1805 survey shows the Court House and The Green. The Academy is on the left. Immanuel Church (without its steeple) can be seen between the trees next to the Academy.
Courtesy of Delaware Public Archives

New Castle's George Read served Delaware at both the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention. Although reluctant at first to part from Great Britain, he signed the Declaration of Independence.

As a member of the Constitutional Convention, Read stood firm for equal representation of the states. His stance helped lead to the creation of the United States Senate. After the Convention, his support was crucial in making Delaware the first state to ratify the new United States Constitution.

[Portrait of George Read] Courtesy of National Park Service


 
Erected by New Castle Community Partnership and Caesar Rodney Chapter

Delaware's Independence Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 24, 2017
2. Delaware's Independence Hall and Marker
D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 39° 39.596′ N, 75° 33.832′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Delaware Street and 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south on Delaware Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Delaware Street, New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Green or Market Plaine (a few steps from this marker); New Castle Court House 1732 (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Dyke House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sheriff's House and County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); New Castle Common (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania (about 300 feet away); Historic Museum (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
 
Also see . . .
1. First State National Historical Park. (Submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. New Castle Court House Museum. (Submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Delaware's Independence Hall image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 24, 2017
3. Delaware's Independence Hall
The New Castle Court House

3. George Read Bio. (Submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. George Read Bio. (Submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraPatriots & PatriotismPoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement