Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
University in Lafayette County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Old Chapel

 
 
The Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 8, 2017
1. The Old Chapel Marker
Inscription. The Old Chapel was originally constructed in 1853 as a dormitory. Its design was later modified to include a large hall for student assemblies, commencement exercises, and meeting rooms for literary societies and student organizations. During the Civil War the Old Chapel was used to house wounded soldiers following the Battle of Shiloh in 1862. Also known as the "Y" or the "Old Y," the old Chapel was the assembly hall of the YMCA for many years.
 
Erected 2011 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 34° 21.942′ N, 89° 32.062′ W. Marker is in University, Mississippi, in Lafayette County. Marker is on University Circle 0.2 miles west of Grove Loop, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: University Circle, University MS 38677, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lyceum — The Circle Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); To Our Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Ventress Hall (within
The Old Chapel (marker on far right of building, behind black SUV). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 8, 2017
2. The Old Chapel (marker on far right of building, behind black SUV).
shouting distance of this marker); The Lyceum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barnard Observatory (about 500 feet away); Society Of Professional Journalists Historic Site in Journalism (about 600 feet away); Documenting the Blues (about 600 feet away); University of Mississippi (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in University.
 
More about this marker. The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) adjoins the City of Oxford.
 
Regarding The Old Chapel. The Old Chapel served as the place of formal worship and ceremonial assembly for nearly 75 years. This Georgian-style building once housed the director of religious life, the foreign student adviser, and student organization offices. It was completely renovated in 1999 and now serves the Croft Institute for International Studies.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducationNotable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement