Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fall River Mills in Shasta County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lockhart Ferry

 
 
Lockhart Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2008
1. Lockhart Ferry Marker
Inscription. Established by Samuel Lockhart in 1856 as a link in the first wagon road from Yreka to Red Bluff, the Lockhart Ferry crossed below the confluence of the Fall and Pitt Rivers near this spot. After a massacre in December 1856, the ferry was re-established in 1857 below Fall River Falls.
 
Erected by California State Park Commission in cooperation with Fort Crook Historical Society, August 5, 1956. (Marker Number 555.)
 
Location. 41° 0.144′ N, 121° 26.628′ W. Marker is in Fall River Mills, California, in Shasta County. Marker is on McArthur Road (State Highway 299), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fall River Mills CA 96028, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glenburn Community Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fort Crook (approx. 7 miles away); Captain Dick and Richard Pugh (approx. 7 miles away); Site of the First School in Fall River Valley (approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
Categories. LandmarksNotable PlacesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Lockhart Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2008
2. Lockhart Ferry Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,422 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement