Adrian in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Camp Williams / Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry
At the outbreak of the Civil War in early 1861, the trustees of Adrian College offered the use of campus buildings and grounds to the Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry for training. This became known as Camp Williams. The city of Adrian donated money to build a mess and dining hall. By early June ten companies of the Fourth had arrived and started their training. The 1,025 soldiers came from Adrian, Ann Arbor, Dexter, Jonesville, Hudson, Sturgis, Monroe, Hillsdale, Tecumseh, and Trenton. On June 21 nearly 30,000 people came to town to see the Fourth depart for Washington. The ladies of Adrian presented Colonel Dwight Woodbury with the regimental flag. Sewn into the flag was "The Ladies of Adrian to the Fourth regiment Defend It."
Fourth Michigan volunteer Infantry
In spring 1861 the Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry departed Adrians' Camp Williams for service in the Civil War. The regiment was assigned to the Army of the Potomac and saw action in forty-one engagements, including Gaines Mills, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Petersburg. The Fourth was one of the few regiments to lose more men
Erected 2003 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S679.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 53.929′ N, 84° 3.51′ W. Marker is in Adrian, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is at the intersection of South Madison Street and Williams Street, on the left when traveling north on South Madison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 South Madison Street, Adrian MI 49221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adrian College (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cane Ceremony (within shouting distance of this marker); South Hall Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Kiwanis Trail and Trestle Park History of the Adrian Kiwanis Club (approx. 0.9 miles away); Spirit of Cooperation (approx. 0.9 miles away); The First House Built in Adrian (approx. one mile away); Cooley Law Office (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adrian.
Also see . . . 150 years ago this week, Lenawee County’s first regiment of soldiers left for the Civil War. (Submitted on April 19, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.