St. Cloud in Osceola County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Veterans Memorial Library
The Ladies Improvement Club of St. Cloud organized in 1910 for the betterment of the community through civic projects and the advocacy of literacy. The club established a small area in the Sugar Belt Railway depot for books and magazines for public use. As the community grew, the club relocated the collection to a small building on Pennsylvania Avenue, then later to the second floor of city hall on Florida Avenue and 10th Street. The library became an important focus of the club and community. In 1915, club president Mary George worked with Judge W.G. Peckham to secure lots on Massachusetts Avenue for the construction of a new library building. Within a year, the club raised $700 to pay for the lots. Contributions from Union Army veterans in the Grand Army of the Republic helped fund construction of the library in 1922. It was designed by Orlando architects Ida Anna Ryan, the first woman to earn a master's degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Isabel Roberts, who studied under Frank Lloyd Wright. Ryan and Roberts insisted on a motto. Thomas Carlyle's "The true university is a collection of books" was selected.
Erected 2016 by St. Cloud Main Street, The City of St. Cloud, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-903.)
Location. 28° 14.902′ N, 81° 17.088′ W. Marker is in St. Cloud, Florida, in Osceola County. Marker is on Massachusetts Avenue just north of 11th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Library is now the St. Cloud
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sugar Belt Railway/VFW Post (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce (about 700 feet away); The Thunderstorm Project (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hamilton Disston Sugar Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Osceola County (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.