Pittsfield Charter Township in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sutherland - Wilson Farm
In the 1850s, Langford (1802-1865) and Lydia (1806-1892) Sutherland replaced their small log cabin with this Greek Revival house. Farm buildings from that era were built from locally harvested hand-hewn timber and hand-cut stones gathered from nearby fields. Here the Sutherlands raised horses, sheep, dairy and beef cattle. oxen, pigs and crops including buckwheat, clover seed, wheat, corn, hay and oats. Other goods produced by the farm included Irish potatoes, butter, wool and cheese. Descendants of Langford and Lydia lived here and farmed the land for more that 150 years. The Sutherland-Wilson Farm was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
When Langford and Lydia Sutherland moved here from Ontario County, New York, in 1832, they had a log cabin and farmed 160 acres. Four of their eight children attended the Sutherland School; their son Tobias and his son Ernest both taught there. During the 1990s, most of the acreage was sold for development by the last family members to live here, Harold and Mary Wilson. The remaining 4.6 acres were acquired by Pittsfield Charter Township in
Erected 2014 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2261.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 11.995′ N, 83° 44.442′ W. Marker is in Pittsfield Charter Township, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Textile Road 0.4 miles west of South State Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 797 Textile Road, Ann Arbor MI 48108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wood Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Pump House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ice House (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Upper Level of the Barn (about 300 feet away); Hog House Lower Level of the Barn (about 400 feet away); Davenport House (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsfield Charter Township.
Also see . . . Historic Sutherland-Wilson Farm, Pittsfield Township, MI 1832-2000. Information about the Sutherland-Wilson Farm on the Pittsfield Township Historical Society website. (Submitted on April 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.