Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Governor's Mansion
"Utmost Disorder and Confusion"
óMarch to the Sea Heritage Trail ó
Beginning in late 1860, the Mansion became the stage for pro Southern celebrations, political speeches and the efforts of Governor Brown to assert Georgia's "states rights" within the Confederacy. Such activities ended abruptly when Union Major General William T. Sherman and approximately 30,000 troops marched into Milledgeville on November 23, 1864. These were the 14th Corps of Major General Jefferson C. Davis and the 20th Corps under Brigadier General Alpheus S. Williams, comprising the Left Wing of Sherman's command, led by Major General Henry W. Slocum. They were preceded by some cavalry. Slocum established a strong guard to maintain order. But most local citizens remained inside their homes. The few bystanders witnessing the arrival of Federal soldiers were mostly slaves. "We are indeed in a den of enemies," one officer wrote.
The arrival of Sherman army in Milledgeville completed the first phase of his "March to the Sea." While here, he met with various generals and gave orders for the second phase, beginning on November 25th. This included a cavalry feint toward Augusta, the destruction of railroad bridges and an attempt to release Federal prisoners from Camp Lawton near Millen.
Governor Brown and other state officials returned to Milledgeville near
Since 1889, the Old Governors Mansion has been an integral part of what is today Georgia College & State University. The Mansion was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
Left: Governor Joseph E. Brown
Middle: The Governor's Mansion under Federal occupation, November 1864
Right top: Major General William T. Sherman
Right bottom map: The Old Governor's Mansion in downtown Milledgeville
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number L14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 33° 4.774′ N, 83° 13.904′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on South Clarke Street (Business U.S. 441) south of East Hancock Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located just inside the fence of the mansion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Clarke Street, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old Governorís Mansion (a few steps from this marker); State College (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tomlinson Fort House (about 600 feet away); Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Allen Strain (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Also see . . .
1. Georgia College on The Old Governor's Mansion. (Submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Wikipedia article on the Old Governor's Mansion. (Submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.