Tennille in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sherman's “Wings” Converge
óMarch to the Sea Heritage Trail ó
During the Civil War, fifteen companies of about 100 men each were formed in Washington County for Confederate or state military service. Most of these men departed the county by rail from Tennille. Local women organized ladies' aid societies to raise money, make uniforms bandages and socks, and collect blankets for the army. Tables were set-up along the tracks to supply food for soldiers on frequently passing trains. Wounded and ill soldiers were often served through the train's windows.
During the "March to the Sea," Confederate Lieutenant General William J. Hardee arrived in Tennille on Thursday, November 24, 1864. He conferred with Henry C. Wayne, inspector and adjutant general of Georgia, about Confederate attempts to slow the Federal advance. Wayne's vastly outnumbered troops withdrew from their defense along the Oconee River heading east by rail through Tennille shortly before the Federals destroyed the tracks.
The majority of Sherman's Left Wing marched east from Sandersville to Davisboro and other points by various routes, all rejoining Louisville Sherman's "Right Wing" about 28,000 men in the 15th and 17th Corps passed just south of Tennille on November 27th and 28th after having destroyed railroad tracks from the Oconee River east toward Tennille.
On Sunday morning, November 27th General Sherman rode to Tennille from his overnight headquarters at the Brown House in Sandersville. Major Henry Hitchcock of Sherman's staff noted in his diary, "Marched all of four miles today ~ from Sandersville to this place...through pine forests over sandy road. Beautiful Sabbath morning, air delightful...and the quiet of the woods is
On Saturday, May 6, 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his travel party passed near Tennille en route to Ball's Ferry. From there they intended to cross the Oconee River but other events intervened.
Bottom left: Lieutenant General William J. Hardee
† Commander of Confederate Forces in Georgia during the March to the Sea
Middle: Heated Rails (Harper's Weekly)
Top right: Approximate routes of the "March to the Sea" through middle Georgia (November 1864) and Jefferson Davis (May 1865) through Washington County and surrounding region † (adopted from the Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies)
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number L19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 32° 56.158′ N, 82° 48.738′ W. Marker is in Tennille, Georgia, in Washington County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Smith Street, Tennille GA 31089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tennille (a few steps from this marker); Sherman and Hardee at Tennille (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Davis (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Rev. J. D. Anthony (approx. 3.2 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 3.3 miles away); Saunderís Store (approx. 3.3 miles away); Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tennille.
Regarding Tennille Station. The present depot was constructed on this same site as the original shortly after the war. Five and one half months after Sherman's army visited Tennille, on May 6, 1865, Jefferson Davis and his riding companions hurried passed through Tennille as they continued south toward their eventual capture at Irwinville four days later.
Part of the Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.