Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Great Baby Waker”
the end of the American Revolution here on the
western frontier of the new nation
Cast at the Mount Aetna forge near
Hagerstown, this iron fortification gun
entered service at the New Frederick
Barracks in 1783, then the home to 1,500
German prisoners of war.
After the war, this gun fired Independence Day
salutes for the local militia. In 1831, it welcomed
the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Frederick.
On November 25, 1844, improper loading burst the
piece, killing its gunner Upton Duvall. This
surviving portion later stood watch at Bentz and
Fourth Streets, from about 1846 to 1951
Today this veteran symbolizes the important role
played by the “Hessian” Barracks in the American
Dedicated by citizens of Frederick on April 22,
2007, the 224th anniversary of a new beginning.
Michael M. Stup, Chairman
Erected 2007 by Citizens of Frederick.
Location. 39° 24.538′ N, 77° 24.577′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from Clarke Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hessian Barracks - Witness to History (here, next to this marker); The Frederick Town Barracks (a few steps from this marker); United States Army General Hospital #1 (a few steps from this marker); Historic Frederick Barracks (a few steps from this marker); These Barracks (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Frederick Town Barracks (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Bradley T. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Freight Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,549 times since then and 78 times this year. Last updated on May 12, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.