Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Frederick Town Barracks
The American Revolution 1776 - 1783
Upon completion of the Barracks found their intended occupants — Maryland troops — at war in the Northeast. So Governor Thomas Lee opened the property to military prisoners. For the duration of the Revolutionary War, the site served as a prison camp, recruiting center, market place, and civilian rendezvous.
Under Brigadier James Hamilton, 984 British prisoners occupied the camp first in December 1780. They brought along 180 women and 247 children, who lived in outdoor huts. Five months later, the group moved to Fort Frederick and Lancaster.
Then 1,400 German soldiers took occupancy in February 1792. For the next 15 months, the men coped with boredom and uncertainty, waiting for peace. For relief, some joined the Continental Army, worked on local farms and in businesses, or deserted. Meanwhile, dozens of wives arrived from Germany. British paymasters in Lancaster funded regular paydays.
Major Frederich H. Scheer and 20 fellow German officers lived in town with family and servants.
Peace freed the Germans on April 28, 1783. Two weeks later, as locals “wished us luck and cried,” they marched off into history.
1777 — As the American Revolution unfolded, the Maryland General Assembly authorized construction of the Barracks.
1782 - 1783 — German prisoners of war captured by the Americans were quartered here at what later became known as the “Hessian Barracks.”
1802 — Lewis and Clark used the barracks as a depot for supplies gathered to outfit their Corps of Discovery expedition to the American West.
1812 - 1815 — By April 1812 United States troops were quartered here, among them the 6th U.S. Infantry, as well as militia from Maryland and Virginia.
1850s — The Agricultural Society of Frederick County held their annual exposition here. This evolved into what is now the Great Frederick Fair.
1861 - 1865 — Doctors nurses and volunteers cared for soldiers wounded at South Mountain, Antietam, Gettysburg, Monocacy, and other Civil War battles.
1868 — The Maryland School for the Deaf occupied
Location. 39° 24.534′ N, 77° 24.563′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from Clarke Place. Touch for map. At the Maryland School for the Deaf. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Clarke Place, Frederick MD 21705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Great Baby Waker” (a few steps from this marker); Hessian Barracks - Witness to History (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Frederick Town Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Army General Hospital #1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Frederick Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); These Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Bradley T. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 14, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.