Welcome to St. Peterís Roman Catholic Church
Since its establishment in 1830, St. Peterís has been the focal point for many historic events, particularly John brownís Raid on October 16-19, 1859, and the Civil War. In addition, several prominent pioneers of the Catholic Church, both in West Virginia and in America, have been associated with St. Peterís, as parishioners, missionaries, or pastors
. Through its history and beauty, St. Peterís has become one of the most visited sites in historic Harpers Ferry.
John Brownís Raid, October 16, 1859
“On the night of the 16th October last, a party of abolitionists came to Harperís Ferry and while the citizens peacefully slept, the took possession of the United States Armoury, Rifle Works and Arsenal.
Next morning, when the inhabitants awoke, they were surprised to see parties of armed men patrolling the streets, and as some of them attempted to pass to their employment they were taken prisoners by the insurgents and marched into the
(Rev. Costelloís letter to Father Harrington, All Hallows College, February 11, 1860)
Location. 39° 19.37′ N, 77° 43.861′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Harper House (a few steps from this marker); Springhouses and Root Cellars Harper House Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweets for Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Casualty of War (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Brown Raiders (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 18, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.