In 1799, prominent Charles Town resident Samuel Washington sold the two lots that house this building to James Duke, a freed indentured servant. Eventually, physician Charles Taylor Richardson took ownership of the land and property. Dr. Richardson ran his small medical practice from the home in which his family also resided for the next two decades. By the early 1900s, the house was being used as Charles Town's first hospital, a capacity it served until the late 1940s when a new hospital was built and the house was converted to a retirement home. American Public University System (APUS) purchased the property in 2003 and renovated the building. APUS maintained many of the historical elements found in the building.
Erected by American Public University System.
Location. 39° 17.273′ N, 77° 51.611′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Congress Street west of George Street (West Virginia Route 115), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 West Congress Street, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Etter Hall (here, next to this marker); Williams House
More about this marker. Marker is on the front lawn, to the right of the main entrance walkway.
Also see . . . Etter Hall, 2012 Historic Preservation Awards (Preservation Alliance of West Virginia). (Submitted on May 22, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.