Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Cornwall
In June 1784 disbanded Loyalist soldiers and their families settled at new Johnstown, the site of present-day Cornwall. Initially called Pointe Maligne, the area had been visited by native traders and French missionaries and explorers during the 17th and early 18th centuries. In 1794 Cornwall is designated a judicial and administrative center for the Eastern District and by 1805 contained a courthouse, a schoolhouse, two churches and numerous dwellings. The community grew gradually and was incorporated in 1834. The construction of the Cornwall Canal in 1834–42 accelerated its development. With the erection of mills and large factories along the canal's course, Cornwall emerged by the end of the century as a significant industrial center in Eastern Ontario and as a distinctive bicultural community.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 45° 0.886′ N, 74° 43.679′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Water Street West (County Highway 2) 0.1 kilometers west of Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in Lamoureux Park. Marker is in this post office area: Cornwall, Ontario K6J 3P2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Cornwall Canal (a few steps from this marker); War of 1812 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Right Reverend John Strachan (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Cornwall Grammar School (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); The Glengarry Fencibles (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); The French Presence in Cornwall (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 3.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.