Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall
This pioneer clergyman, legislator and teacher was born in 1778 in Aberdeen, Scotland, and in 1799 came to Kingston as a tutor. In 1803, after entering the Church of England, he was ordained and appointed missionary at Cornwall. Here in 1804–5, he built its first Anglican church. Shortly afterwards he opened a boys' school which became renowned for its high academic standards and eminent graduates. In 1812 he became Rector of York (Toronto), and subsequently a member of the province's executive and legislative councils. Appointed Upper Canada's first Anglican bishop in 1839, he died in 1867 and this church, commenced in 1869, is dedicated to his memory.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 45° 1.046′ N, 74° 43.929′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Second Street West 0.1 kilometers west of Augustus Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the Trinity Anglican Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Second Street West, Cornwall, Ontario K6J 1G4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War of 1812 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Founding of Cornwall Cornwall Canal (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Cornwall Grammar School (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Right Reverend John Strachan (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Glengarry Fencibles (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); The French Presence in Cornwall (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 3.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - John Strachan. (Submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.