Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery
Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division
Independent Battery, O.L.A.,
Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division,
20th Army Corps.
This battery Capt. Edward Grosskopff commanding, with its brigade was held in reserve on Sept. 19th, 1863, till about 12:00 N, when it advanced into action with the brigade. The ground not being favorable for the use of the artillery, its advance was impeded by woods and fallen timber. The battery went into action whenever opportunity offered. Was engaged in this position on Sept. 20th. Loss, wounded 2, missing 2.
Erected 1894 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-942.)
Location. 34° 55.716′ N, 85° 15.496′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Battleline Road 0.4 miles south of Alexander Bridge Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This monument is located on the south eastern edge of Kelly’s Field near the tree line. It can be reached from either Battleline Road, or from the LaFeyette Highway. From Battleline Road, park near the monuments to the 10th and 64th Indiana Infantry Regiments. A path will lead through the tree line. Pass the shell monument to Col. Edward
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery. (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward A. King Memorial Shell Monument (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); To The Opening of the Battle (about 600 feet away); Route of Croxton's Brigade (about 600 feet away); Palmer's Division (about 700 feet away); 10th Indiana Infantry (about 700 feet away); 124th Ohio Infantry (about 700 feet away); 24th Ohio Infantry (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
Regarding 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery. The battery was in active service from October 29, 1862, to July 19, 1865.
This monument was built in 1894, C, H, Niehaus, was the sculptor. The monument is 5' x 5' x 8'6" obelisk on tapered pedestal and slab base. Pedestal has raised lettering, and shaft has crossed cannon tubes in a circular medallion within rock-faced block. Located in Kelly Field.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. 20th Ohio Independent Battery. (Submitted on May 26, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. National Park Service (Submitted on May 27, 2017.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 26, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.