Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery.
4 3” Riﬂes, 2 Napoleons.
4 3” Rifles, 2 Napoleons.
Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, McCook’s Corps.
September 20, 1863.
Capt. Edward Grosskopff, Commanding.
The Battery remained in the rear of the Brigade in the early morning and came into position on this ground soon after 9 A.M., and aided in holding in check an attacked on the left flank. About 11 or 11:30 A. M. the battery was ordered by a staff officer to take position more to the right, but did not reach the designated point before the line was broken. The battery then withdrew toward the hills, and soon after noon proceeded toward McFarland’s Gap and Rossville, where it bivouacked. Casualties of the battle: 2 men wounded; 2 men missing; 9 horses killed, 2 wounded; one caisson abandoned.
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-941.)
Location. 34° 55.695′ N, 85° 15.451′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Battleline Road 0.4 miles south of Alexander Bridge Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This plaque is located on the south eastern edge of Kelly’s Field near the tree line.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward A. King Memorial Shell Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Palmer's Division (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 124th Ohio Infantry (about 500 feet away); 24th Ohio Infantry (about 500 feet away); Grose's Brigade (about 500 feet away); 31st Indiana Infantry (about 500 feet away); 10th Indiana Infantry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
Regarding 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery.. The battery was in active service from October 29, 1862, to July 19, 1865. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. The plaques were installed by the War Department in 1890. The monument to the 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery stands next to this tablet.
Related marker. another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. 20th Ohio Independent Battery. (Submitted on May 26, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. National Park Service (Submitted on May 27, 2017.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.