Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fort Nogales 1791

 
 
Fort Nogales 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 25, 2017
1. Fort Nogales 1791 Marker
Inscription. Fort Nogales, which was the first settlement at Vicksburg, was established by the Spaniards on this spot in 1791. In 1798, it passed from the possession of Spain to the United States and was re-named Fort McHenry. It was used as a Confederate fort during the Civil War.
 
Erected 1926 by the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Mississippi.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
 
Location. 32° 22.286′ N, 90° 52.322′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is on North Washington Street (Business U.S. 61) 1.3 miles from 1st East Street when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vicksburg MS 39183, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Nogales (a few steps from this marker); C.S. Johnston's Company, (approx. 0.2 miles away); Explore the Defenses (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Stronghold on the Bluffs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tennessee River Batteries (approx.
Mural of former Fort Nogales. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 25, 2017
2. Mural of former Fort Nogales.
Mural located on Mississippi River levee wall, about 1.5 miles south.
0.2 miles away); Iowa 31st Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Campaign, Siege and Defense of Vicksburg, 1863. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iowa 2nd Brig.; (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Regarding Fort Nogales 1791. The fort was located on Fort Hill (formerly Walnut Hill). It had 12 cannon facing the river, and four howitzers in blockhouses racing the rear, with a powder magazine, commander's house, and barracks for 200 men. About 1000 yards to the rear was square-palisade Fort Mount Vigie, and about 400 yards to the right and left were two blockhouses, Fort Gayoso and Fort Ignatius. A blockhouse named Fort Sugarloaf was on a hill across a creek.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Wiki on Fort Nogales. (Submitted on May 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Fort Nogales 1791 and another Fort Nogales marker, along with several cannons. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 25, 2017
3. Fort Nogales 1791 and another Fort Nogales marker, along with several cannons.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement