Lake City in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church Street/Main Street
Before the 1820s this intersection of two major roads, one from Georgetown to Camden and the other from Charleston to Cheraw, was popularly called "the crosswords." After Arron Graham built a house here ca. 1930, the area became known as "Graham's Crossroads." Church Street, the main north-south road through the town until 1924, was named soon after Bethlehem Baptist Church (now Lake City First Baptist Church) was built in 1828.
Erected 2014 by The Lake City Beautification Committee. (Marker Number 21-37.)
Location. 33° 52.303′ N, 79° 45.168′ W. Marker is in Lake City, South Carolina, in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake City SC 29560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake City (within shouting distance of this marker); H.H. Singletary Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Whitehead Infirmary (about 700 feet away); Palmetto State Bank Robbery (about 700 feet away); W.T. Askins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greater St. James A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Browntown (approx. 8.1 miles away); Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.