Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Bowyer War of 1812
Erected 1972 by Alabama Society, United States Daughters of 1812.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 30° 13.783′ N, 88° 1.4′ W. Marker is in Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Dixie Graves Highway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker has been repainted/refurbished and is now on a new concrete pad at 30°13'47.4"N 88°01'24.6"W facing toward the entrance to Mobile Bay - just south of the Noble Leslie Devotie marker. Marker is in this post office area: Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Noble Leslie DeVotie (a few steps from this marker); Battery Schenck (1899-1923) (within shouting distance of this marker); 32 Pounder Sea Coast Defense Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Model 1918M1 155mm Gun and Model 1918A1 Carriage Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Overland Campaign (about 300 feet away); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (about 300 feet away); The Citadel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Also see . . . Fort Bowyer. Fort Bowyer was a fort the Americans erected on Mobile Point situated at the mouth of Mobile Bay. (Submitted on March 16, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Events • Notable Places • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 2,326 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on June 2, 2017, by W. Scott Brannon of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Photos: 1. submitted on June 2, 2017, by W. Scott Brannon of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.