Lowell in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
St. Anne's Church
Mill agent Kirk Boott oversaw the church's construction. Its Gothic style was derived from the English churches of his youth. Workers used stones dug from the Merrimack Canal to build its walls.
An Episcopalian, Boott ignored that most of the workers were Congregationalists or Baptists and hired a young clergymen of this faith-Theodore Edson.
Reverend Edson led the Lowell School Committee in a successful battle to increase spending for public schools. In a dramatic confrontation at Town Meetings in 1832 Edson prevailed over Boott and the textile corporation interests.
(Inscription over the church photo)
The church rose close to the oldest corporation and seemed a part of it...like a leaf out of an English story-book.
(Inscription under the photo)
St. Anne's Church, 1825
Erected by Lowell National Historic Park.
Location. 42° 38.783′ N, 71° 18.7′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Merrimack Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrence MA 01842, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Irish Labor (within shouting distance of this marker); Debating Slavery (within shouting distance of this marker); Steam Railroads In New England (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Wentworth Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George L. Duncan Dedication Plaza and Fountain (about 300 feet away); Merrimack St. Depot (about 300 feet away); Street of Lightning (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on June 2, 2017, by Glenn Peters of Billerica, Massachusetts. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.