Lake City in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. James Whitehead (1906-2004) was a graduate of Lake City H.S. and the Medical University of S.C. After completing his internship at Spartanburg General, he returned to Lake City where he practiced medicine for 55 years. In 1938 he oversaw the construction of this two-story building, which was built as a 14-bed obstetric hospital. With few other local options for professional medical care, however, Whitehead Infirmary quickly became the primary acute care facility in town.
Erected 2014 by Lynches Lake Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-41.)
Location. 33° 52.26′ N, 79° 45.039′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 238 E Main Street, Lake City SC 29560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church Street/Main Street (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake City (about 800 feet away); H.H. Singletary Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Palmetto State Bank Robbery (approx. ¼ mile away); W.T. Askins House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greater St. James A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Browntown (approx. 7.9 miles away); Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on June 6, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.